Ignacio Packer, Secretary General of Destination Unknown campaign member Terre des Hommes (TDH) is cycling, running and kayaking 1,250 km from Berlin to Croatia to raise awareness on the issues affecting children on the move.
He will cross seven countries in nine days starting on 1 July – one day for each of the nine recommended principles to ensure for child refugees, migrants and other children affected by migration are treated appropriately and fairly by governments.
The challenge will also be Ignacio’s farewell to the organisation, after working for TDH for 17 years – including six as the organisation’s Secretary General. He will travel from the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin to Vukovar in Croatia, passing through the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and Serbia – cycling 650km, running 300km and kayaking 300 km.
The nine principles Ignacio will raise awareness on while completing his challenge are:
• Children on the move and other children affected by migration shall be considered children first and foremost and their best interests shall be a primary consideration in all actions concerning them;
• All children have the right to life, survival and development;
• Children have the right to liberty of movement with their state, and to leave their state and any other;
• The detention of children because of their parents’ migration status constitutes a child rights violation and always contravenes the principle of the best interests of the child;
• Children during all phases of migration shall not be separated from their parents or primary caregivers (unless this is in their best interests);
• No child is illegal – children should be protected against all forms of discrimination;
• Child protection systems shall protect all children including children on the move and children affected by migration;
• Migration management measures shall not adversely affect children’s human rights;
• Children have a right to express their views freely in all matters affecting them and to have their views taken into consideration in accordance with their age, maturity and understanding of the options available.
Ignacio explains more about the rights of children on the move in the video below.You might be interested in other: Blog News
Read more from: Austria, Berlin, Croatia, Czech Republic, EU, Germany, Hungary, Serbia, Slovakia