Never before have the rights of children in the context of migration been so present in the agenda of the GFMD Civil Society Days.
Aware of the human and financial cost of getting the answers wrong , Ignacio Packer, Secretary General of the Terre des Hommes International Federation, is the chair the Global Forum on Migration and Development Civil Society Days in Istanbul.
Chair and the Co-Chair, Fatumo Farah of HIRDA, are presiding over the two days of civil society meetings Monday and Tuesday 12th and 13th October, leading into the Opening Ceremony of the government meetings and the shared Common Space on Wednesday 14th October.
During the Opening Ceremony, Ignacio Packer addressed the governments with a statement of the main concerns, recommendations and solutions that civil society leaders from around the world brought forward during the preceding Civil Society Days.
The plenary sessions of the GFMD Civil Society Days (Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon) were recorded :
Monday 12th October – GFMD Civil Society Day
Tuesday 13th October – GFMD Civil Society Day
360 participants attended the Civil Society Days of the GFMD. 280 selected civil society delegates. Close to 40% of them represent migrant or diaspora NGOs. All regions of the world widely represented. Over 20 government guests and 40 observers from international organisations and UN agencies.
“The gravity of the questions impose on all to think critically, to learn the hard lessons of the past and to challenge assumptions that have underpinned much of the response of the international community so far” said Ignacio Packer as he was setting off for Istanbul.
Never before have the rights of children in the context of migration been so present in the agenda of the GFMD Civil Society Days :
- One full session on children organized as a World Café.
- The wide dissemination of 6 bridging papers on child rights perspectives on different Migration and Development issues. This series of papers are innovative and contribute to break the “usual ways of thinking”. All delegates receive the series of documents in their welcome pack. Documents will be outputs of the Civil Society Days of the GFMD. They are presented in four parallel sessions.
- A special rapporteur on Children, Mr Carl Kristiansson, a youth-leader from Sweden will bring to light empowerment and rights of children in the context of migration.
- One side event co-organised IDC, PICUM, TDH and DU Campaign on “Children’s rights criminalization and border security ».
- A specific report on children in the context of migration as output of the CSD GFMD.
- The presentation of MyDestination App, a case management tool for migrant children
- An exposition area for child rights organisations.
- Contributions by children and youth to the wall of dreams.
- 2015 GFMD Civil Society Programme with an overview of all plenary, working and special sessions with over 80 speakers [English] [Spanish] [French]
- Concept note 2015 GFMD Civil Society Days [English] [Spanish] [French]
- The list of registered participants for the GFMD Civil Society Days 2015
- Action and Bridging papers on the GFMD Civil Society website
Read more from: Middle East, North Africa, South Asia